The Chirp scratch is the first open fader scratch we learn. A simple but extremely versatile scratch that is worth taking the time to master, even if the technique feels strange at first.
Try using triplet timing to really funk this scratch up!
- 00:00 - Intro, history and demos
- 01:09 - Technique Breakdown
- 04:32 - Timings (70 bpm beat)
- 04:46 - Very slow / half notes
- 05:20 - Slow / quarter notes
- 05:54 - Normal speed / 8th notes
- 06:28 - Double time / 16th notes
- 07:04 - Timings (85 bpm beat)
- 07:12 - Very slow / half notes
- 07:38 - Slow / quarter notes
- 08:03 - Normal speed / 8th notes
- 08:29 - Double time / 16th notes
- 08:38 - Expression
- 10:27 - Advanced Timings
- 10:35 - Triplets
- 13:23 - Swing
- 16:37 - QnA Practice.
- 22:21 - Wrap Up.
- 22:57 - END
Here is the Scratch Notation for this scratch:
Jazzy Jeff - The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff - Chirps start at 3:28:
DJ Premier - Ex Girl to Next Girl:
70 BPM Beat
I used a beat from Le Jad Looper 2.
Bottom grey bonus row, third from left.